Sunday, August 8, 2010

Rhian's "Peeps" fanfic

I couldn’t comprehend what was happening to me. I guess because I’d never heard of this. Ever. All I knew is that everything I had once loved, Star Wars, – I was a sci-fi geek, – cleaning products, – I used to be very hygienic, - even cupcakes I now wanted to run away from. The sight of them brought about inside of me a terror which trumped any other feeling which I may have had towards them and sent me into a frenzy of screaming. There could not be enough distance between myself and those objects. I guess I’m lucky that I never really liked my apartment otherwise I probably would’ve ended up in some dodgy area like that crazy Elvis freak who fled to Spokane because of her love of New York. However my apartment soon grew dirty and grimy with my opinion of hygiene gone so it probably was as bad as that abandoned warehouse that chick had.
Oh yes, I’m a “peep”. In case you didn’t know, “peep” is the term for those which are parasite positive, which means they have the parasite and are going through the change, despising that which they once loved and turning cannibalistic, basically, I'm a vampire.
So anyway, I became a peep, though I didn't know what this meant at the time. The one night stand thing always has a way of biting you in the ass... Even though it wasn't him who gave me the infection, it was his cat. I've been told that people that did get it from their cats, just from them breathing on you and you inhaling that same space, change slower. I was scared enough when I opened my eyes to a random room, a guy I didn't remember meeting and a cat sitting on my chest staring at me. And it’s because of this that the Night Watch were able to help me sooner. They’re still doing tests.

The day Cal found me, curled in a ball in the corner of my apartment, freaking out about the possibility of the sun coming through the curtains – yeah, we can’t really handle the sunlight, I was on the verge of "peep-dom". I heard the knock on the door and my reply was a gnashing of my teeth and a growl. I could smell the human on the other side. You know you normally think 'oh I wonder who that is?', I was thinking 'how quickly can I kill it?'. I'd been having these thoughts more and more frequently, it was getting to the point where it wasn't scaring me any longer because the thirst for blood was soo strong! Cal must have heard me with his super sensitive hearing because the next moment he had barged through the door, literally through the door and was standing in front of me in a combat pose. At first I was scared and confused but my new found predator surfaced and realized that I could take this sucker. I jumped up into my own feline crouch, ready to pounce. Leaping toward him, he dodged left, but I saw the movement in time to flick my leg out and catch him on the jaw. I got a few more punches in and grappled him to the floor, my fangs aching with being so close to the kill. I reached forward, leaning towards his neck as he struggled against me. Just inches from the vein and his lifeblood pouring into my mouth, warm and thick, I groaned in anticipation. Everything fled from my mind. What I was doing, who I was. Nothing mattered apart from the thirst. A small, sharp pang in my stomach snapped me back to reality and I was tumbling to the floor, muttering apologies and still craving that sweet, sweet blood. My vision went hazy and my head grew heavy as the sedative Cal had injected me with finally knocked me unconscious.

When I woke up I was on a bed in a cell. The smell of cupcakes was wafting through my cell door and the fear I felt was instantaneous and extreme enough to render me conscious. I heard people muttering outside.
“Finally!” a woman’s voice exclaimed.
“I’d like to see you wake up from that much anaesthetic this soon, Lace,” a familiar male voice, Cal I thought.
Groggily moving, I propped myself up on my bed and looked at the door. There was a large window in the centre with two people peering in. Cal and who I presumed was Lace, were peering in, Cal looking grim and Lace looking impatient. They knocked in a polite gesture as if to presume I could stop them coming in if I so chose, and waited for a show of acknowledgement. With a small nod they opened the door and came in.
“I’m sorry it had to be like this Ella, it’s just that you were putting up a fight and I really couldn’t leave you there, not when you were changing,” Cal apologised.
“Mmmh… Iss... Fiinnee...” I said, still not having correct use of my mouth it seemed after the drugs.
Lace came forth and produced a large plate of raw meat, looking extremely envious. Presuming it was the fact that she was hungry, I asked,
“Would you like some? I’m not sure I can eat this all on my own.”
After a small pause and a glance at Cal, she sat down next to me on my bed and dived in while I idly chewed on the smallest piece on the plate. I was extremely hungry but nervousness and anaesthetic was making my body behave sluggishly slow.
“So, you’re probably wondering where you are…” Cal started.
He explained that I was at the Night Watch, a facility for those affected with the parasite which turns you into a blood-sucking fiend and by bringing me here they can try help me with this infection. It sounded easy and I didn’t really have a choice, I mean, I wasn’t gonna let myself go around killing and eating people. So after he finished reciting the brochure, he asked me if I would willingly let them start work on me. This required needles and painful tests where they shoved cleaning products in my face which they called “anathemas”. He explained all the fun we were going to have and even though I knew it had never worked before, I had to agree for fear that I might turn into a savage killer of the night.




Six months later, I could eat cupcakes and clean my new apartment that I loved and at night, I was the new recruit for the Night Watch, the one that smelled and looked and behaved like the infected and could converse with the others, so that they too could become, hopefully, like me. The first peep, peep hunter.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, at least you have your fan fic posted. The other half of the assessment shouldn't take you long to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah, it's not very good however. I came in late and the links were boring me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this story is really new to me, I read ur fanfic twice and still thinking about what was this about. have some idea but I dunno what exactly I am thinking of haha..;;; however u made me to read twice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell us a little bit about the original story?
    What I can take from the story is "peep" is kind of a person who got infected by some kind of virus that turn human into killing machine right? And those people Night Watcher are from some kind of organization that knows how to stop the infection right?

    I quite like the opening of your fan fiction it was very smooth, explaining a little bit and telling something about the character but the ending is kind of a rush. It's like, before you can understand fully what is happening, someone give you the ending and say "nope, that's enough for the story". Quite frustrated.

    I had a lot of question like "What infected Ella? Who's these person called Night Watcher? Why can they fix her from the infection thingie?" Probably it'd be nice for a little bit more of background info?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted to do the beginning and explanation of her getting infected and I was going to but then I found out about the word limit and got really bummed out haha.
    Okay 'Peeps' is a book by Scott Westerfeld, basically it's about vampires. A 'Peep' is someone who has been infected by a another carrier. They turn into a vampire like being where they are cannibalistic, don't like the sun, are scared of things they used to love - which is how Scott justifies some being afraid of crucifixes and the like.
    As for the Night Watcher organisation, they don't know how to stop the infection, I kinda changed that bit a little, normally they catch the 'peeps' though I'm not sure it's really described as to what happens after that. I wanted to make it like she was a new hybrid of Peep that they could fix and utilise her abilities. I'm also really bad at ending stories. Any ideas on how it can end?

    I have a whole beginning part to it that I'm trying to cull down and add to this so people don't get confused. And the ending.. It was so much longer! I might just re add the stuff I used to have, it only gets to about 1000 words so just on the limit haha. I hate word limits.
    Sorry for the confusion! You should all definitely read the book though, 'Peeps' and the second part 'The Last Days' good stuff. Vampires without the.. Twilight effect :D

    Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel about the word limit. I had to change the idea several times until I got to something that is short enough since I didn't want to cut off parts from my other ideas.

    I guess it would be better to add into the beginning something about "how Ella got infected", maybe a little bit of the fight would be nice and cool. And then she passed out and then the part that you have already got here. That way it doesn't leave too manything unexplained and fighting would be really cool do you think? xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW~ This is really good story~
    You should be a writer k k...
    I have a little advice though...
    I think you had better make some paragraphes and divide between narration and conversative sentences. That makes your novel be read easily.
    Yeah.. That is what I adviesd you k
    Anyway, thank you for writing a good fiction...
    It was good~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys.
    I totally agree with the fight scene, it needed some action and the fighting was the best part.
    Hope you guys like the new edit =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. An enjoyable read, vampire action - ni!ce. ;D Agreed that the word limit restricts creativity...haha!! Very descriptive which helped in understanding the flow of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very nice to read =D the flow of story was really clear so i like it XD well done! haha~

    ReplyDelete